Building a concierge business can have unique challenges.
First off, to many people, despite the industry growth in past 20 years, it is still a relatively unknown business model! Then add to that the anonymity many of our clients want to maintain…
That’s why there are specific and certain ways a “concierge business” needs to market. Everything you do should always be from a place of love, and service. If you keep all your actions coming from that space, you’ll have MUCH better results.
5 ways you can gain more referrals.
One of the things I notice about business owners is that they “think” about getting referred and are always glad when it happens – but they don’t think “proactively.”
Years ago when I was working with a business coach, he had asked me “are you getting referrals?” I was all like “NO!!”
He then asked – “are you asking” – I hung my head low LOL. I was always too afraid to ask. I didn’t want to “bother” anyone.
Does that sound familiar??
Now, before I go into ways to gain more referrals – I want you to first be aware of what NOT to do!! Cool?
- Never ask too soon! I jokingly refer it to trying to get to 3rd base on the 1st date – THAT never goes well! Instead, wait for the right time – after a relationship of respect has been formed.
- Don’t forget to say “Thank you!!” Have YOU received a referral and NOT said thank you? An email or a text just isn’t enough to leave a lasting impression on the person who MADE the referral. Consider a hand-written card instead. Want to receive more referrals from the same person – send them a thoughtful gift! This isn’t about “bribing” people – it’s about appreciation. People are BUSY! The fact that they took time out of their day to share YOUR information goes well beyond a “hey thanks” text!
- Don’t “overdo” your asking. Asking should come from the heart – in a way that feels good on both the asking side AND the receiving side. Being proactive doesn’t mean stalking!
Now that we’ve laid some groundwork for the WRONG ways to increase your referral business, let’s talk about HOW to be proactive!
- Has a client referred you? Send them a special thank you card AND leave them a voicemail. Don’t forget to “reward” your clients too. In our business, many clients like to keep us “secret.” Please remember that if a client opens up and shares you with others – you had BETTER show your gratitude!
- Give referrals! If you’ve never read the book The Go Giver (you should). Giving initiates the cycle of reciprocity. It’s human nature for most (not all!) people to want to give once they’ve received!
- Let your centers of influence know WHO a good referral is for you! Have you ever received a referral that wasn’t quite the right fit? THAT is your opportunity to teach them WHAT makes a good referral for YOU specifically.
- Create a referral campaign. Most marketing is just that – a campaign, not a one-time “I tried it.” How can you create an ongoing campaign where you will reach out to your network and clients and gently continue to nurture the referral relationship?
- Ask others to keep an eye out on social media! You can’t be on FB all day (although many of us can get lost in puppy and baby videos). Having others watch for great opportunities to connect or introduce you and your services on social media is a VALUABLE resource! (And when they DO connect you – don’t forget to send THEM a thank you too. ?)
So how will you begin to look at referrals in a new, more proactive way?
And hey – while we’re at it… I’m going to ask for referrals too!!
Many people reach out to me and say “did so and so reach out to you? I told them all about the Academy” … Often times NO – so and so did NOT reach out. And it’s often because the “Academy” may seem like too much of a big jump … But a BOOK is NEVER too much!!
So if you want to share this information and knowledge with others, the easiest way to DO that is to share TCL with them. The Concierge Life is the 1st part of the roadmap… it’s the connecting point so people don’t feel so alone on this journey.
Who do you know who needs support in growing their business or guidance on how to step out bravely as the CEO of their company?
Please share THIS link with them… —–> https://theconciergeacademy.com/tcl
Here’s to rocking referrals this year!!
Welcome readers! If this is your first time reading my blog, thank you for stopping by! As a concierge who has built a successful business, I have decided to help other budding entrepreneurs do the same! As the Founder of The Concierge Academy, I write about specific topics and marketing strategies that Work for our industry!
It’s not always easy to build a service-based business. Many see it as an intangible, but you can build a profitable and flourishing concierge business!
Be sure to grab your FREE checklist right now! 111 Ways to Grow Your Concierge Business